So imagine my surprise and delight when I realised that the reason I couldn't find the street that my YHA is on was because it was above my head. Yep, proper Edinburgh-style: streets cut into rock under other streets. Admittedly I am staying in 'the Rocks' area, the oldest part of the city, but still in general there is more age and character here than I expected.
The youth hostel is ridiculously good - it's 24 quid a night rather than 15, but for an en suite 4-bed dorm, and views of the Opera house and Harbour bridge from the roof terrace, not to mention that it's an incredibly perfect central location...I'm happy to hit Mr Visa a little more.
[View from said roof terrace]
It's also quite a funky bit of architecture, perched on stilts over the top of excavations of early settlements, with a central well allowing you to see down to them from all parts of the building*.
I'm here for seven nights and having a quietly busy time. The botanic gardens are beautiful with more amazing harbour views, a day trip to Hunter Valley took me to three excellent boutique wineries (and I've learnt a bit more about wine which I'll doubtless forget shortly), downtown Sydney is nice and compact, the coastal walk between Bondi and Coogee beaches is really nice and Bronte is definitely the loveliest bay to stop at. I did swim, of course, but not for long as the current and the surf were fearsome. Aussie rules footy is ace**! Went to the match, with Michael who's also staying at the YHA, last night...really fast-paced and action-packed, and hilariously quick referees.
Still a couple of days left before I say goodbye to Oz....trip to Blue Mountains tomorrow and will definitely fit in the Opera House tour. And Sydney is definitely going on the 'come back one day' list***.

*So Claire, it's only 200 years, but I've managed to find you some physical history in Oz!
**Nothing to do with the fit men, honest.
***PS. Does that last picture look peaceful and serene? You have no idea the scrum I had to fight through on the ferry to grab enough space to lift Suz's camera above my head and snap!!
PS. Sorry for the rash of posts guys, finally got organised to type everything up and get some pics up.
ReplyDeletex
beautiful, wonderful, lovely pictures they are too. you know you're going to have to invest in your own SLR when you come back, don't you? am happy to accompany you shopping for it :)
ReplyDelete