So it's time to go for a little wander*...India, Singapore (I'm gonna count it even if it is only for 26 hours), Australia, Argentina and Brazil. Eight and a half weeks - should be fun.

And I may post up some stuff here about how it goes, for anyone who wants to waste two minutes having a read.

*Daunder for those who can cope with the scots

Friday, 16 April 2010

Not quite one of the porteños* yet

I was relatively proud of myself as I sipped my cafe cortado at the bar of the coffee shop.  I had seemingly negotiated the various seating options successfully, had ordered in Spanish and even received what I asked for; but as I stood there watching the other customers I realised that the waiters were just kindly humouring the tourist.  Everyone else paid on arrival at the little till by the door, and I was clearly in breach of another social convention...I was absolutely and definitely the only woman standing at the busy bar.  Oh well, conventions were devised to be flaunted right?

I felt a bit better by the end of my mammoth 10km daunder round Buenos Aires yesterday afternoon though because I was stopped and asked for directions - in Spanish - not once but twice.  So perhaps I don't always have 'tourist' stamped on my forehead.

*Buenos Aires local

No comments:

Post a Comment