So it's time to go for a little wander*...India, Singapore (I'm gonna count it even if it is only for 26 hours), Australia, Argentina and Brazil. Eight and a half weeks - should be fun.

And I may post up some stuff here about how it goes, for anyone who wants to waste two minutes having a read.

*Daunder for those who can cope with the scots

Monday, 15 March 2010

Singapore Fling

Well, it was brief, and somewhat sweaty, but we had fun...and I think we both know we'll see each other again one day...if only because the way to this girl's heart is through her stomach.

Yep, it was a whirlwind 24 hours, but I really liked Singapore. My hostel was in the comparatively less sanitised old Malay district, and after dumping my bag I wandered out into the humid night and chose a random hawkers market*. Stopping at the first stall to call me over, I said I'd have whatever he recommended and got the most delicious chicken skewers with spicy satay sauce and a rice dumpling (and very cheap too). Unfortunately it was only after I got my drink that I noticed the man at the next table was drinking a can of Kickapoo! Oh how I wish I could have sneaked a photo - I think it used to be a favourite drink of mine when I was 3 yrs old and we were living in Thailand (is that right mum?).

I then headed downtown and wandered around the quays, taking far too many pictures of beautifully lit colonial buildings and towering neon.

On Saturday I thought I'd briefly pay homage to the consumer gods at Orchard Road then swiftly move on. But then I found Takashimaya. I think it's possible that the food hall of this Japanese department store's Singapore outpost is my own personal heaven on earth. It was like being back in Japan (what an excellent bonus to my trip**) except with added international elements. After much window shopping, three tacoyaki balls and a portion of okonomiyaki, I finally managed to leave. Then there was just time for a quick look round the gorgeous botanic gardens - lush and fresh from the downpours earlier in the day - before I headed for the airport.

*Like a cross between street food and a shopping mall food court, with the taste of the former fortunately.

**Actually the whole city was quite reminiscent of Japan, perhaps why I took to it so much.

2 comments:

  1. I'd like to hear more about the botanical gardens Gil, but I'm glad that you're enjoying your trip. I'm certainly enjoying the blog, although I do have a question; what are tacoyaki balls and okonomiyaki?
    Take care of yourself and have a lovely time at your next destination. Cousin Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, Kickapoo was your favourite drink. What always worried me was that it was described on the bottle as being "made to the original dog patch recipe"!! You survived with few, if any, long term problems. The food sounds wonderful. Mum

    ReplyDelete